Skip to content ↓
Reading Girls' School

Reading Girls' School

Physical Education

Head of department/faculty: 

Ms F Conway


‘Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity’ - JFK


Introduction to Course 

Students will follow the PE National curriculum at KS3 and KS4 PE. Our curriculum aims are to encourage and inspire all students to achieve their best and to feel physically confident.


SMSC: At RGS we encourage our students to demonstrate the Olympic and Paralympic values in their PE lessons in order to achieve their best, they are:

  • Friendship

  • Respect

  • Excellence

  • Determination

  • Inspiration

  • Courage

  • Equality

Students are recognised for displaying these values on a termly basis. In addition, students are also encouraged to work well in a team, demonstrate sportswoman like behaviour and win or lose with grace.


Subject content KS3: 

In KS3 core PE we offer a broad and balanced curriculum so that students can develop their skills and confidence in a range of activities. Students will develop their ability to be physically active for longer, experience competitive sports and activities and be encouraged to lead a healthy and active lifestyle. Students will also be taught to analyse their own or others performance.

The main activities taught in KS3 core PE are; football, badminton, netball, handball, fitness, athletics, rounders and tennis.


Subject content KS4:

In KS4 core PE we introduce a number of new activities into the curriculum to further encourage students to lead a healthy active lifestyle. These include; volleyball, non-contact boxing, yoga and pilates, softball and step aerobics.


Exam board KS4:

At KS4 we are currently offering two courses of study; AQA GCSE PE and NCFE Level 2 in Health and Fitness.


Typical lesson activities: In KS4 examined courses we teach a mixture of theory content and practical activity.

For GCSE PE, students will sit two 1 hour 15 minute papers at the end of the course worth 60% of the final grade. The other 40% will consist of three practical assessments and an analyses of performance in one sport.

For the NCFE Level 2 in Health and Fitness, students will complete three units of written coursework and will sit an external exam for the fourth unit. All the practical work undertaken will assist in the completion of coursework tasks.


Contact details for any questions. Please contact