Head of Year (non teaching)
Do you want to work in a school that is ‘performing in the top 1% of all schools nationally’
(Department for Education, Sept 2019) Reading Girls’ School is also the 5th best-performing non-selective school across the surrounding counties of Berkshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire. The school came under new leadership in 2017 and within one year is performing in the top 175 schools in the country with a progress 8 score of 0.97.
August 2019, saw the school's best ever exam results:
- 15% of students gained 8 grades 7-9
- 22% of students gained 5 or more grades 7-9
- 51% of students gained 8 or more grades 9-4 including English and Maths
- 74% of students gained 5 or more grades 9-4 including English and Maths
- 78% of students gained 5 or more grades 9 – 4
- Every student gained at least 7 grades 9-1
Unique features of the school are:
- The pupils - 95% report that behaviour is very good (student survey, October 2019) and 97% feel safe at school (student survey, October 2019)
- Our new school day – by the time they leave year 11, our pupils will have had the equivalent of six years education in five without reducing school holidays
- Deeper applied learning – we have longer blocks of learning time that allows us to visit industry or host industry guest to co-deliver lessons
- Small year 11 class sizes – we reduce year 11 class sizes to 12-15 pupils.
- Integrated KS3 curriculum – paired subjects work together to provide R.E.A.L (Relevant Engaging Active learning) lessons.
Due to the increase in student numbers in September 2019 and again in September 2020, we seek to appoint an experienced, enthusiastic and organised Head of Year, who will help foster a caring and supportive learning environment for the girls at RGS. Your experience of pastoral care will place our students’ welfare at the heart of the school. Working as part of the non-teaching Pastoral Team you will be responsible for agreed year groups and lead on all areas of their school experience.
Our aim is a very clear one which is to provide the best life-chances possible for every student. To that end, we challenge our students to the very edge of their academic capabilities whilst providing wrap-around support towards those goals. We believe in the importance of stepping out of one’s comfort zone, in order to improve. We are a small diverse and dynamic school which is part of the successful Baylis Court Trust. In October 2016 we moved into our new school building which has provided us with a 21st century learning environment.
If you are team player, who can work calmly under pressure and you feel we are the right school for you, we would like to hear from you. Visits to the school are warmly welcomed and encouraged, in accordance to social distancing rules. If you would like a conversation about either the school or the position, please contact Assistant Principal, Sally Elliott (email@example.com) and / or the Principal, Jon Gargan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will be happy to arrange a time for you to come and meet us and / or speak to you over the phone.
Completed application forms should be returned to email@example.com before the closing date of noon on 4 July 2021.
Reading Girls’ School is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS disclosure is required for all posts.